In all of my anatomy stuff lately, I haven’t actually done any figure drawing on this blog yet. I have actually drawn people before, but I guess I can’t remember the last time! So, whew, got that out of the way. Observe my person in all his glory.
So, I have mixed feelings about this one, like all of my drawings. I think the mixed feelings are fair – it’s how I improve, right? It’s good to recognize both the good and the bad. So, the good:
- I like some of the shading that I did (also, I used a different scanner today & the shading is a tad darker than what it actually is – whereas the other scanner tends to be a little washed out – I wish I could find the perfect scanner &/or setting), particularly in the face & torso.
- Although my knowledge of anatomy is still pretty basic, I was able to recognize a few things that were going on (but not really with the muscles yet).
- I’m not sure, but I don’t think my proportions are too off – maybe the legs are a bit, but overall, he doesn’t look too weird.
- I like how some of my muscle/muscle shading turned out – not all, but some.
- I did attempt some of the veins on his arms & hands, & I think that helped the drawing overall.
- I like his face!
- His face is not quite accurate with the photo reference! (If I can find a copy of it later, I’ll post it) And it should be tilted down a bit more.
- My knowledge of anatomy is still pretty basic. I was mostly going by observation without really knowing what was happening underneath.
- His feet, ugh. Now that I think of it, I’m not sure if I’ve ever drawn feet without shoes on – isn’t that crazy?
- His hands – the hands got a little better when I tried add some shading & the veins, but they still look weird to me. I think that’s partly because this drawing is relatively small.
- I think he’s a bit stiff looking. The pose in the photo was also a bit stiff, but my drawing is even more stiff. I think I should have tried for more gesture when attempting this – maybe next time.
Overall, I think it’s a good first try (or, first in a while) & nothing to beat myself up over, ha ha. It gives me more motivation to keep learning anatomy, actually attend a figure drawing session, & draw more people because I really should be doing that.
This doesn’t qualify as my life drawing this week, though, since it’s from a photo – I’ll probably get to that this weekend.